the list

Douglas Bigham TlhovwI at AOL.COM
Thu Aug 15 16:56:13 UTC 2002

Right right.  And then there are people like me.  I joined ADS because, after
hanging out on the list for a while, I decided that I should join (pay the
piper for his upkeep, etc.).  A few people warned me to "watch out for the
crotchity old professors", but the experience was almost completely positive.
 And every once in a while I jump in, but not too often.

Furthermore, as a linguistics student (like, the official university kind), I
still haven't decided if I'm a "professional linguist" or not.  So, IMHO, use
of "professional" has always annoyed me and I'd really like to see word
qualified before it's used in any future FAQs, etc.  I certainly FEEL
professional, but I also have some really amateur questions sometimes...

But, to completely cut off the list for non-members would be, IYAM, a
horrible loss.  As >>Ben<< suggested, could it not be configured so that the
list is Readable by All, but not Postable by All?  Or, to keep the amateur
questions at bay, could a "Ask a Linguist" page be created, where anyone
could post a Q, and then members could check in and respond to questions if
they wanted?  Like a intricate guest-book thing, maybe.

Well, that's all I've got.  It's my $1.50 worth.

-dsb
Douglas S. Bigham
In Transition...