the list (fwd)

Robert Fitzke fitzke at MICHCOM.NET
Thu Aug 15 21:06:59 UTC 2002

An anecdote that may illustrate what us non-ADS types can contribute.

Some months ago I was a participant in a list called"Quackwatch", a list
focused on exposing the more egregious activities of "alternative medicine",
e.g., homeopathy, some chiropractic, energy "auras", etc. A participant
posted messages showing that the tables (used by, among others, the American
Dental Association, which still uses them as far as I know) on which
fluoridation usage was based were inaccurate by a factor of 2.2 (kilograms
were confused with pounds). This participant also posted messages about the
failure of fluoride exponents to take into account the presence of fluorides
in food and drink other than that which is contained in fluoridated water.
This person was clearly "anti-fluoridation" but her questions were supported
by the studies which she also posted. She was attacked by other participants
who, basically, said that fluorides had been proven safe, therefore debate
over. References were made to "100s of such studies" but none were ever
posted.

I've supported fluoridation of water since at least the 50s but I thought
her points were valid and required more than "It's safe because we said so!"
reasponse. I said as much in her defense (pointing out that the scientific
approach espoused so frequently by "Quackwatch" participants is, at its
core, a process of questioning perceived wisdom) and was warned to not even
mention her name again or be separated from the list. I did and was.

To my knowledge her points have not been proven wrong but fluoridation
proceeds on its merry way based on the severely inaccurate tables listing
supposedly safe amounts by body weight.

The law uses a phrase called "pattern of conduct" to address continuing,
unacceptable, behavior. As a former teacher I tried to follow the rule that
there is no such thing as a stupid question. But I DID try to draw the line
at axe grinding. Perhaps that approach would be appropriate.

Bob