A linguistically interesting novel

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Sat Aug 17 13:23:27 UTC 2002

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Mai Kuha wrote:

#A book recommendation (in case this isn't old news to everyone):
#
#Hugo and Nebula award-winning author Connie Willis' "Doomsday Book" (1992,
#Bantam Books) tells about a time-traveling 21st-century historian who goes
#to the 1300s and discovers, among other things, that having memorized the
#Canterbury Tales is of limited usefulness in an actual communication
#situation. Fortunately, she can rely on her implanted language technology...
#sort of. Despite the grim historical setting, the first half or so of the
#book is wonderfully funny and not very gory.

A comment: I started this with great interest. I simply could not push
myself to get past about the 1/3 mark. This is not a review, just a
comment from an active sf fan.

OTOH, I want to read her _To Say Nothing Of the Dog_!

-- Mark A. Mandel