Corndog, Bialy, and more from NY TIMES full text

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Sun Aug 18 11:58:41 UTC 2002

In a message dated 08/18/2002 4:05:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Bapopik at AOL.COM writes:

> DOLLARS TO DOUGHNUTS--15 April 1996, pg. 5.  "...it was dollars to doughnuts
>  on his opponent's having the best first round."  Slightly earlier than
what I
>  posted from HARPER'S WEEKLY.

There was a movie entitled "State Fair", starring Tom Ewell with (as I
recall) Wally Cox and Paul Anka as supporting actors, which was released
circa 1960.  (I have heard that it is a remake of an earlier movie of the
same title.)  In the opening scene, where the lead actors are in a car, they
sing a song with the refrain
    Yes, it's dollars to doughnuts
    that our State Fair
    is the best State Fair
    in our state"

At one point they pass a city limits sign for Dallas and change the refrain
     Yes, it's Dallas to doughnuts...

            - Jim Landau

P.S. The movie is worth seeing.  It's the source from which "Love Boat" got
all its cliches.