Googling for "bulldyker"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Aug 18 14:10:12 UTC 2002

Google search turns up the following, from an item posted to Usenet in 1997:

<<By 1900 the word 'bulldyker' had come into use in the red light district
of Philadelphia to mean lesbian lovers.>>

The source is given as "'She Even Chewed Tobacco: A Pictorial Narrative of
Passing Women in America', San Francisco Lesbian and Gay History Project".
I guess this is either a book or a video; I don't find it immediately
accessible to me.

I suppose if one followed this lead one would probably arrive at the very
item quoted from 1906 by Fred Shapiro ... or at some equivalent ... or
conceivably at an independent confirming item from 1900?

Even if one likes old books (I do), a good way to find the old book one
wants is good 'old' Google. Now if only there weren't so many bogus items
on the Web ... I guess it's not called the "Web of Lies" for nothing.

-- Doug Wilson