..Polish neighborhood..

GSCole gscole at ARK.SHIP.EDU
Mon Aug 19 13:23:08 UTC 2002

At a recent party in Newark, DE, someone was talking about their very
helpful neighbors, and, in trying to explain the actions of neighbors
who volunteer to help neighbors with their yard projects, commented
"it's a Polish neighborhood."  My apparent look of befuddlement drew the
clarification, "you know, blue collar, but very clean; everyone takes
good care of their house and yard."  I would not have expected to find a
contingent of folk of Polish ancestry in that neighborhood.

So, there may or may not be some Polish folk in that neighborhood, just
outside of Newark, but they have clean homes and yards, and they
willingly pitch in to help their neighbors.  Thus, in the speaker's
mind, it's a Polish neighborhood.  The speaker claims to have lived in
all 50 states, for at least a period of 3 months, working as a
consulting engineer.

George Cole
Shippensburg University