"Fun City" & "Go Fight City Hall" & "You can look it up"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Aug 20 06:09:48 UTC 2002

   This continues re-examination of some classics using NEW YORK TIMES full
text.

FUN CITY
   13 January 1966, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 21, by A. M. Rosenthal.
   The transit strike wasn't at all amusing and one benefit is that it will
be a long time before advertising men and politicans again will embarrass
real New York-lovers by calling it a fun city.
(My work on "Big Apple" and "Fun CIty" holds up well.  I had "Fun City" about
ten days before this.  "Fun cities" is used in the copy of travel ads prior
to 1966, but that's it--ed.)

GO FIGHT CITY HALL
   I checked for "fight city hall"--it might be "go fight city hall" or "you
can't fight city hall."  Amazingly, there was nothing before the Ethel
Rosenberg 1949 GO FIGHT CITY HALL book.  I guess that shows you what kind of
New York City coverage we have here.  I found the phrase in Arthur Kober's
Bronx novels years before 1949.  I also dated a Joe E. Lewis song routine
about this to 1942.

BRONX BOMBERS
   The first hit was 10 September 1936.  I had found earlier in the NEW YORK
POST and the NEW YORK WORLD-TELEGRAM.  It's clear that the phrase is related
to the Brown Bomber (Joe Louis) and his fights at Yankee Stadium.

YOU CAN LOOK IT UP
   Casey Stengel's famous phrase.  The first hit is 5 October 1952, pg. 51,
but I couldn't spot it easily.  Next is "The Silent Mr. Stengel," 6 March
1955, pg. 52:
   "You can look it up but he had Novokoff on one side of him and some one
else whose name I've forgotten on the other but you can look it up."

DEJA VU ALL OVER AGAIN
   Yogi Berra's famous phrase isn't here in the 1960s and early 1970s.

NO ONE GOES THERE ANYMORE; IT'S TOO CROWDED
   12 January 1977, pg. 53.
   As Yogi Berra once said about Mama Leone's, "No one goes there anymore;
it's too crowded."
(Nothing earlier--ed.)

WINNING ISN'T EVERYTHING, IT'S THE _ONLY_ THING
   In an ad for LIFE magazine that featured a Vince Lombardi interview, 3
December 1962, pg. 64.  No earlier hit.

BAGEL (DONUT, GOOSE EGG, ZERO, NADA, ZILCH, et al.)
   Supposedly coined by the tennis players Eddie Dibbs or Harold Solomon.  A
1 September 1976, pg. 56 story called them the "Bagel Brothers," but no
"bagel" for tennis "love."

SOUP TO NUTS
   25 April 1894, pg. 3.
   In the language of Manager Irwin, Cross went from soup to nuts yesterday.
(He had a good day hitting the baseball.  The first cite for this--ed.)

SALT WATER TAFFY
   The first citation is a 29 May 1897 ad for the stuff.  I expected earlier.
 New York is not far from New Jersey's Atlantic City.

PINK LEMONADE
   2 July 1882, pg. 8.
   Their bananas and pink lemonade inspired him...
   1 September 1884, pg. 5.
   ...pink lemonade with straws sticking out of the top...
(That story I posted about circus red dye accidentally getting into the
lemonade--and someone drinking it--is probably a myth--ed.)

ANZAC
   The first "ANZAC" is 12 August 1915, pg. 1.  No "ANZAC cookies."

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR
   From 16 December 1965, pg. 3.  About what I had posted for this.

CAPRI PANTS
   An ad for Gimbel's mentions Emilio of Capri and his "Capri pants" on 18
May 1952, pg. 96.  This is slightly earlier than I had found in articles.

CROSS WORD PUZZLE
   The first mention of this in the NEW YORK TIMES is 16 March 1924, pg.
BR10.

WINDY CITY
   There are many "Windy City" citations before 1893.  The first one is in
mid-1886.  Again, my work--which can't get published in Chicago--holds up.
   This is fresh from AP NEWSWIRE, 8-19-2002, by Roger Petterson, found on
the Dow Jones database:

   Look up the source of the city's nickname, Windy City, at Choose
Chicago---http://www.choosechicago.com--by clicking on History & Facts, and
leafing through Windy City Trivia.  (The name has nothing to do with the
weather.)

   This web site is run by the Chicago Convention & Tourism Bureau.  It
states that Charles Dana of the _New York Sun_ coined "Windy City" in 1893.
The web site also tells you that the word "jazz" was coined in Chicago in
1914.
   I was feeling pretty down about this.  I left the NYU Bobst Library, took
the subway, and went to a newsstand to buy bottled water.  Staring me in the
face was O MAGAZINE.  Oprah Winfrey is on the cover.  She posed in front of
the Chrysler Building.  Oprah wears an "I LOVE NEW YORK" shirt.
   Again:  It was many years ago that I wrote to Oprah.  I told her that "the
Big Apple" comes from an anonymous African-American stablehand who still has
never been honored.  I told her about my work on "Windy City."  Iasked for
her help.  I got one response.  I was told to buy Oprah products.
   Oprah loves New York?