FW: terms "worm, virus, infect" (Was: Re: KLEZ)

Michael Quinion TheEditor at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Tue Aug 20 16:52:34 UTC 2002

> firewall – software or a dedicated system through which all
> Internet traffic is channeled, to protect against viruses or
> unauthorized use.
>
> Using various software filters and validation schemes, a
> firewall screens all data flowing from the outside world to an
> internal network, intercepting viruses and keeping hackers from
> breaking in.  The computer sense can be traced back to 1987, in a
> technical paper titled “Reliability in Distributed Programming
> Environments” by G.E. Kaiser and S.M. Kaplan.

Or, using Google Groups, to 21 Feb 1985 on net.mail.headers:

> Are there any "official" policies around about how local
> institutions handle their access to Internet and/or CSNET
> facilities? Do people have to sign a written down form? Do any
> of these forms exist on file so that you could send me a copy by
> electronic mail? I'd suggest that if you have such a policy that
> you send it just in a message to me, since the Firewall
> discussion is already beginning to get out of hand.

Or, if that is a little too indirect to be convincing, this one,
from 23 October 1985 on net.arch:

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words