FW: terms "worm, virus, infect" (Was: Re: KLEZ)

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 21 14:50:42 UTC 2002

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> Or, looking at the OED, which has had this entry up since last
> December:
>
> 1983 D. Bischoff _War Games_ xii. 206 Shit. Can we invade
> the deep logic? We keep hitting a damn fire wall.

How about this:

1974 _Communications of the ACM_ July 389 The mechanisms should not depend
on the ignorance of potential attackers, but rather on possession of
specific, more easily protected, protection keys or passwords. ... If one
has a mechanism available which can provide "firewalls," the principle of
least privilege provides a rationale for where to install the firewalls.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,