greasy/greazy question

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Wed Aug 21 16:02:09 UTC 2002

In a message dated 8/21/02 10:06:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
stevekl at PANIX.COM writes:

> Does your pronunciation of the sibilant in Vaseline mirror your use of [s]
>  or [z] in greasy?

I always say /greezee/ and /vasuhleen/, that is, voiced in "greasy" and
unvoiced in "Vaseline."  I don't recall ever hearing /vazuhleen/.  As far as
I know, everyone gives it a 3-syllable rhyme with "gasoline".  After all,
both are petroleum products.

Born and raised in Louisville KY, then lived from age 22 on the East Coast
(Washington DC then Atlantic City area, New Jersey).

      - Jim Landau