"The Newspaper of Record" (New York Times, Oct. 1924)

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Aug 22 07:52:26 UTC 2002

Barry P posted:

ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT

December 4, 1890, THE NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 4:
   The excellence and interest of _The Times_ as a general newspaper are
proverbial.  It is its business to print the news, all the news that it is
worth anybody's time to read.

October 9, 1896, pg. 7:
   All the news that's fit to print.

<<

Not unknown, but worth repeating here, is the parody of this slogan, used by
those who dare to criticize the NYT:

"All the news that fits we print"

IMHO, the word "fits" is to be taken in 2 senses, meaning both 'fits into
the space we have that day, based on the ads we have sold' and 'fits our
perspective of the world'.

Frank Abate