Monday morning quarterbacks

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 22 16:15:34 UTC 2002

At 11:51 AM -0400 8/22/02, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>MONDAY MORNING QUARTERBACK
>    5 December 1931, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 22:
>_FOOTBALL CRITICS_
>    _CHIDED BY WOOD._
>_Says Answer to Overemphasis_
>_May Be Found in "Monday_
>_Morning Quarterbacks."_
>(...)
>    Barry Wood, Harvard's all-America quarterback, mounted the ramparts in the
>role of a defender today.
>(...)
>    The answer to overemphasis was to be found not on the field, but in the
>stands, where sit what Wood called "the Monday morning quarterbacks."

I've always wondered about this.  The cite above confirms my
hypothesis that it was college quarterbacks (whose game would have
been played on Saturday) that were originally subject to
second-guessing by the Monday morning QBs.  For one thing, the pro
game (played on Sunday) was much slower to develop and catch on.  But
then why not "Sunday morning quarrterbacks" for the revisionists?  Is
it that the analysis and dissection of the Saturday game wouldn't
have seen print until the Monday morning papers?  (Clearly the
second-guessers in the stands didn't actually wait until Sunday, much
less Monday.)  Or mabye the potential SMQBs were all in church on
Sunday morning instead?  (These days, with pro football dominant,
Monday morning is actually the more appropriate time slot, but the
term was already established decades ago, as this cite indicates.)

larry