Thomas Edison, how could you?

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Thu Aug 22 18:03:48 UTC 2002

On 22 Aug 2002, at 18:41, Lynne Murphy wrote:

> >>  # A nit: Why isn't it the "New Joisey Toinpike"?
> >
> > Because "Joisey" is a regionalism, but "turnpikes" exist in all major USA
> > dialect regions.
>

> I don't know--New Jersey was part of my vocabulary well before turnpike,
> which I consider to be a dialectalism for 'Thruway'.
>
> New Yorkly,
> Lynne

Not only a dialectalism, but also a needless and inelegant
elaboration of "pike."

Gassed up in Mass,

Joanne

P.S.  Speaking of voiced sibilants in the names of petroleum
products, one of my French Canadian-descended friends (I think
his dad is from up there) pronounces gas with a final /z/.  Has
anybody else heard of such a thing?