That word "neen" / restrictive "that"

Thomas Paikeday t.paikeday at SYMPATICO.CA
Thu Aug 22 18:41:44 UTC 2002

Hi Allan,

First, off-topic: Thanks for the acknowledgement of my ADS paper
proposal.

I think you were kind to the copy editor fresh out of college indulging
in what I call "teach-your-grandmother-to-suck-eggishness" (my word of
the year 1990).

I was not so kind to someone (editorial director with an M.A. from
Leeds) at Penguin Books (1990 gives it away) who had apparently never
cracked a dictionary. She objected to abbreviations like "usu." and had
a problem with the meaning of "He consummated his infidelity by going
off to live with the other woman." I gave in on "usu." but told her
privately about the sexual and non-sexual meanings of "consummate." But
the company President kept bugging me. So at three strikes I sent a
four-page memo to him with copies to 21 consultants (headed by Sister
Jessica A. Bell, SSA, M.A., M.Ed. - Hi Sister, if you are listening) who
had voted for the sentence.

At the next conference, the edit. dir. had gone on to other endeavours.
But since "de mortuis nihil nisi bonum," I am glad to add that both the
President and his edit. dir. are hopefully enjoying their Philadelphia
cream cheese.

Retributive justice: My contract got broken in four places and the
remaining copies of the dictionary were pulped. That was my third bad
experience with a commercial publisher. I decided never again to offer
an unfinished dictionary to a third party. Enter Lexicography, Inc.

TOM PAIKEDAY
www3.sympatico.ca/t.paikeday/index.htm