bath vs. bathe

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Aug 23 10:24:57 UTC 2002

I grew up in Southeastern VA saying, "I need to TAKE a bath." My
relatives in DC and New York say, "I need to GET a bath."

--- yvonne frasure <yvonne_frasure at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
> 'I need to bath' is very common in the southeastern Kentucky
> region, as well as in West Virginia.  Here is a consideration...."I
> need to take a bath" ......Where will you be taking it too?   Take:
>  To lay hold of;capture; catch.  2) To get possession of; seize 3)
> to obtain by purchase 4)assume; appose upon
> oneself.........etc..etc.  Why not say I need to seize a bath?
> possess a bath?
> Bath...the washing or immersing of something especially the body in
> water or other liquid.
> Bathe...To place in liquid, to immerse.  To wash; wet.
> oh yeah..bath could also be defined as An ancient Hebrew liquid
> measure, equivalent to about 10 gallons.
> So could we say that "I need to bath" is simply saying "I need to
> immerse myself in water" and would it be equal to saying "I need to
> bathe" meaning "I need to wash"
> From the first statement, one could assume that perhaps a good soak
> in the tub rather than a good scrubbing, heh?  Its simply a matter
> of what  you are used to...its all about conditioning.  I don't
> feel that the first is wrong, just not typically heard outside of
> appalachia or the south.
> Yvonne
>  abigail adams wrote:In the past I had a roommate from Hazard Ky
> (Southastern KY). When she wanted to get into the shower she would
> say "I need to bath" - I had always said and heard "I need to
> bathe" and "I need to take a bath"
>
> I recently met another person from this same area and she said the
> same thing. Has anyone heard this confusion before - maybe in other
> regions?
>

> "if you've never stared off in the distance, then your life is a
> shame..."
>
> ~~Adam Duritz~~
> Counting Crows
> Mrs. Potter's Lullaby

=====
Margaret G. Lee, Ph.D.
Associate Professor - English and Linguistics
 & University Editor
Department of English
Hampton University, Hampton, VA 23668
(757)727-5769(voice);(757)727-5084(fax);(757)851-5773(home)
e-mail: margaret.lee at hamptonu.edu   or   mlee303 at yahoo.com