bath vs bathe

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Sat Aug 24 09:20:24 UTC 2002

In a message dated 08/24/2002 5:02:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU writes:

> Per Lynn's report of British "bathe-ing" in the sea vs "bath-ing" in a
>  tub, remember that Americans still use "bathing suit" for swimming, even
>  though we don't bathe in them. ("Swimsuit" seems to be pushing out the
>  older term commercially and in the media -- Sports Illustrated, etc.).

There is a possibility that "swim suit" originated here in Atlantic City.
For some reason unknown to me, the Miss America Pageant insists on referring
to the piece of feminine attire as a "swimsuit" (or maybe "swim suit") and
does not allow the term "bathing suit."  Maybe the Pageant folks think
"swimsuit" sounds classier.  (And presumably Sports Illustrated also thinks
"swimsuit" is a classier term for their annual soft porn issue.)

       - Jim Landau
         systems engineer
         FAA Technical Center (ACB-510/BCI)
         Atlantic City Int'l Airport (10 miles from Atlantic City!) NJ 08405
USA

P.S What do lawyers wear to court?  Briefs and law suits.