bath vs. bathe

Sat Aug 24 13:36:24 UTC 2002

The determination of which "semantically depleted" verb to choose is
complex, dialect-to-dialect and language-to-language. (Surely you
remember your surprise in Spanish or German 101 at learning that you
"have" hunger! You should have taken Polish.) "Take" does not obey a
rule in which the following noun (the source of the semantic
"content") refers necessarily to something "brief." (I took a long
walk; I took Carol to be my wife, etc...). We don't "seize" (or
"gobble" or other semantically full verbs) if the usual activity of
the noun (dare I say "unmarked") activity is referred to.

Of course, there are idiomatic exceptions (making things even more
complicated). You can "catch" a cold (although you can also 'get' and
even 'take' one in some dialects), but in these cases I would argue
for a temporary semantic depletion of the usually semantically full
verbs involved. This process is difficult historically, because we
tend to add these depletions to the list of "senses" of the verbs. A
lexicographical difficulty if I ever saw one.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics