lonely vs. lonesome?

Thomas Paikeday t.paikeday at SYMPATICO.CA
Mon Aug 26 17:37:29 UTC 2002

I find the human connection of lonely/lonesome quite interesting.
Dennis's contrastive sentence "A lonesome whistle is one which evokes
lonely feelings in the listeners" is particularly striking. I'd like to
study the question further. Here are some common expressions for
analysis:

LONELY (in senses of "being alone and gloomy; [attrib.] alone and
isolated")
a lonely bachelor, widow; feeling depressed and lonely; sad and lonely;
lonely and homesick; the lonely hearts column; the lonely desert night;
a cold and lonely world; a lonely lingering death; a lonely business,
childhood, journey, life, look, house, place, road, trail, traveller,
tree, village, voice; It's lonely at the top.

LONESOME (in senses of "feeling lonely; causing one to feel lonely;
solitary")
a lonesome bachelor, existence, highway, orphan, road.

Incidentally, my database has six times more "lonely" citations than
"lonesome" ones.

TOM PAIKEDAY
lexicographer
www3.sympatico.ca/t.paikeday/index.htm