Quickie

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 26 19:02:45 UTC 2002

At 10:01 AM -0500 8/26/02, Joan Houston Hall wrote:
>Yes, DARE IV (coming in December) will have two examples of "quickie"
>meaning 'experiencing sharp pain or extreme sensitivity.'  One is from
>Alabama, the other from the southern Appalachians.  Glad to have this
>example for the files.

Notice that these uses of "quickie" are non-nominal, and so aren't
too likely to be confused with the noun.  Interestingly, the OED's
first cites for "a quickie" involve the movie version, "A
cinematographic film that is made quickly and cheaply", from 1926,
then extending to other senses involving "anything produced or
carried out quickly":  a potboiler (1940), a quick trip or visit
(1941, from _What Makes Sammy Run_), a wildcat strike (1943),
meetings, meals, Mexican divorces etc.  There's a separate sense for
'an alcoholic drink taken quickly' (first cite, 1941).   I can't
believe that the first cite for the quick sexual encounter (with a
prostitute, as it happens) could really have been as late as 1975,
from a Robert Rimmer novel.  Jesse, you guys will have to come with a
"quickie" that beats that.  I realize they may not be memorable
encounters, but still...

(Of course RHHDAS is no help here, given the alphabetic problem, but
you and Lighter may have something in the files.)

larry