Slam Dunk (1972)>Blazermania, Rip city

Fritz Juengling Friolly at AOL.COM
Tue Aug 27 05:35:03 UTC 2002

In a message dated 8/25/02 6:23:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
laurence.horn at YALE.EDU writes:

> As it happens, Dr. J's athletic Philly team was upset (he said
> hoarsely) by Fritz's team-concept, nifty-passing Trailblazers for the
> in 1976-77 championship, a Trailblazer team led by Alcindor's
> successor at UCLA, Bill Walton, and coached by Dr. J's rival medicine
> man, Dr. Jack (Ramsay).

Ahh, those were the days!!  That gave rise to the term "Blazermania" which
resurfaces every couple years when the Blazers have a good season.  Also from
the Blazers is "Rip City, " which was popularised, if not invented, by the
Blazer radio broadcaster Bill Schonley (sp?).  Every time one of the Blazers
made a field goal, he would yell out "Rip City."  "Petrie on the dribble
drive, he stops, shoots--RIP CITY!!!!" I can still hear it almost 30 years
later.  This was picked up by us kids and we would yell it when we made a
hoop, too. It also has become a nickname for Portland.
Fritz