Query: "I scream for ice-cream"

Kathleen E. Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Tue Aug 27 13:26:25 UTC 2002

At 09:51 PM 8/26/02 -0500, you wrote:
>   I've received a request for the earliest datings of "I scream for
>ice-cream" and its variants. I remember hearing this at the Concord
>Hotel (Catskills) in the late '50's or early '60's but suspect it's
>older. Barry? Fred?
>
>Gerald Cohen

THE FOURTH EXCURSION.; ANOTHER SUCCESS. THIRTEEN HUNDRED CHILDREN LEAVE THE
CITY
A HAPPY AND ENJOYABLE DAY.; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York,
N.Y.; Jul 13, 1873;
pg. 8, 1 pgs

The New York Times apparently held "excursions" for the city's children
from time to time. "Generally the children selected for these outings
[were] of a rough character... ." The article is a hoot. Could send a .pdf
attachment if anyone is interested in reading the whole thing.

This appears in the second leg of the story:

"After three hours enjoyed in the grove, the signal for 'home again' was
given, and as each child returned to the barge, he or she was given more
sandwiches, a mug of lemonade, and a ticket for ice-cream. The ice-cream
tickets called for the inquiry from some of the boys, "What do you do when
your mother licks yer!" followed immediately by the answer, "I Scream." The
appellation to the ticket is easily seen."

For what it's worth. -- Katy

Kathleen E. Miller
Research Assistant to William Safire
The New York Times