ob-gyn

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue Aug 27 14:04:56 UTC 2002

>AHD4 has only the spelled-out pronunciation
>         /o.bi.dZi.waI.En/
>  not
>         /Ab.gaIn/   <   OBstetric{s/ian} / GYNecolog{y/ist}
>  which I have heard a lot.

Maybe it's regional or even specific to certain hospitals, colleges, etc.
I've heard mostly the "O, B, G, Y, N" version. The second most frequent in
my experience is "ob-gynie" /abgaini/. I think I have heard "ob-gyn"
/abgain/ but only very seldom.

What about "ear-nose-throat" > "ENT": always "E, N, T", I think, never
"ent" /Ent/, in my experience. Perhaps in some other town there are such
ents, though?

-- Doug Wilson