"88," White Power for "Heil Hitler"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Aug 29 01:41:12 UTC 2002

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Dennis R. Preston wrote:

> Can you give me one such early cite so I can send it to the people
> involved?

The earliest I can readily find is:

1953 _N.Y. Times_ 13 Dec. 20  This trend toward what the planners call "a
bigger bang for a buck" -- the attempt to achieve more fire power at less
cost -- has economic, military and technical roots.

The Historical Dictionary of American Slang, which probably would have
picked up a sexual signification of this expression, has a 1968
military-related usage as its first use.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,