"88," White Power for "Heil Hitler"

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu Aug 29 07:56:47 UTC 2002

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 09:41:12PM -0400, Fred Shapiro wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Dennis R. Preston wrote:
>
> > Can you give me one such early cite so I can send it to the people
> > involved?
>
> The earliest I can readily find is:
>
> 1953 _N.Y. Times_ 13 Dec. 20  This trend toward what the planners call "a
> bigger bang for a buck" -- the attempt to achieve more fire power at less
> cost -- has economic, military and technical roots.

Some months ago Barry posted a cite from 21 Dec. 1953, in the
form "more bang for a [sic] buck," which would suggest that
even if the "bigger" variant was earlier, it wasn't vastly or
uniquely so. OED also has a 1954 quote (in the form "bigger")
that refers to it as "catchy phrase" used to describe the
U.S.'s defense program.

Jesse Sheidlower