Illustrated Lexicography

Thomas Paikeday t.paikeday at SYMPATICO.CA
Thu Aug 29 16:16:11 UTC 2002

The following memo bothered my tender conscience. So I checked it with
Barry Popik whom I consider a good judge of off-topic matters. Here is
what Barry had to say (22 Aug. 02): "That's an OK thing to send, in my
opinion.
- Barry Popik, preparing for Mongolia"

MY MEMO (addressed to the English-reading public):
August 29, 2002
WANTED: HAPPY FACES OF DICTIONARY USERS
        Lexicography is a faceless occupation. The word itself is a bit arcane.
And the lexicographer usually remains in the background.
        But when the dictionary goes online (as The User's® Webster Dictionary
is planning to do) I feel it would be great if each
entry that an Internet user types in for checking is displayed with a
happy face randomly selected by computer from a picture collection. This
would give lexicography a much-needed human touch. Dictionaries
occasionally do use illustrations, but the idea of The User's® Webster
is to illustrate English vocabulary and usage with text
rather than with pictures. The idea (mine, though not copyrightable) of
using happy faces is to embellish rather than explain the text.
        Everyone who reads English with a happy face qualifies as a dictionary
user and to have their pictures displayed with the dictionary. This
includes happy infants as potential users unless we remain in the
infantile condition and never learn to read.
        I am therefore requesting family and friends to send me any pictures
they would like to contribute to my database. Sorry, no modelling fees
can be paid because I am putting my magnum opus online absolutely free
although there could be a commercial "banner" used to promote the
dictionary.
        A large number of pictures fairly divided between male and female and
the various groups making up our cultural mosaic will be included in the
collection.
        The pictures will not identify the subjects except for those who
specifically ask for their name/pseudonym/pen name/nom de plume to be
displayed. Normally, the pictures will only carry a caption like "Past,
present, future users," which includes users who have gone to their
reward.
        Photos of couples and family groups are also welcome provided the
individual faces are not too small to be seen in the space available on
either side of the masthead.
        Pictures submitted should be sent with a brief covering letter or be
countersigned by copyright owner (guardian in case of children) for
identification, verification, and authorization purposes. Please include
an address or phone number to facilitate return of pictures to their
owners after being scanned in. This may take a few weeks. So while the
database is in preparation, please feast your eyes on our website (URL
below).
        A better way of submitting pictures is by sending them via e-mail
(t.paikeday at sympatico.ca) scanned from the original photos in JPEG
format (*.JPG or *.JPEG); True Color (color depth). Any home-PC scanner
should provide ample resolution.
        Many thanks for your contributions.

THOMAS M. PAIKEDAY
Address: 83 Sunny Meadow Blvd., Brampton, Ont. L6R 1Z3, Canada
Phone: 905-790-7076; fax: 905-790-9168
Website: www3.sympatico.ca/t.paikeday/index.htm