Qualifiable favorite?> toast

Fritz Juengling Friolly at AOL.COM
Thu Aug 29 16:46:28 UTC 2002

In a message dated 8/29/02 9:34:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM writes:

> Handy, yes;  I just wouldn't use it!   I'd say:  "They're all favorites,
> but I like apple best,  strawberry least"  [ in fact, I like blueberry
> least].
>
> Clearly favorites can be more or less favored.  "Least favorite" simply
> sounds to me like a misspoken "least favored."
> AM

Because it is so handy, maybe you should add it to your speech.  This reminds
me of something that I have added because it is so handy.  Shortly after my
wife and I got married, she made breakfast and asked me if I wanted 'a
toast.'  That was the weirdest thing I had ever heard.  But the more I
thought about it, the more sense it made to me.  Why 'a slice/piece of
toast'?  So, I have started saying it.  Handy, absolutely.  Does it bother me
anymore--not in the least.  It's actually one of my most favorite expressions
(nah--it's just one of my favorite expressions).
Fritz