Nominalized inflectional morphemes

Fri Aug 30 18:33:42 UTC 2002

A nonce use I'm pretty sure, but I once heard a non-native speaker
criticized for "inging" too much (though we certainly have no
nominalization in that). English inflectional morphology is so paucal
(and opaque) you wouldn't expect much word-formation. (Of course, the
social meaning may be enormous. Fail to attach a 3rd person
indicative marker on a present tense verb and you might as well kiss
you parentage and future goodbye.

dInIs