Take on board

Tom Kysilko pds at VISI.COM
Sat Aug 31 04:23:35 UTC 2002

On Friday's All Things Considered Robert Siegel introduced a story on
prescription drug pricing by saying something like, "To understand this
next item, you have to take on board the idea that..." -- a new one on me.
 However, a Google search makes me wonder where I've been.  It's status as
a catch-phrase seems quite advanced.  I'll append a few examples below.
But my question is:  Just how far out of it am I?  That is, how long has
this usage been around.

Have you ever read a good idea, but did not take it on board? You did not
take it to heart. ...   [i]n personal development, we want to take the
ideas on board and make them part of ourselves. How else would they be
useful to us?

We do not expect people to blindly take on board what we say, but to take
on board only that which resonates with them at the time...

However, it was felt essential to take on board the criticisms that had
been levelled...

If terrorism is to be defeated, the world of Islam must take on board the
secularist-humanist principles on which the modern is based.

If these glove puppets can help children to take on board important safety
messages...

The players didn't take on board what I said though, and before we know it
we are two down.

And from an ESL quiz:
Business Expressions 2
  1.At the start of the meeting everybody was very quiet and reserved but
he told a few jokes to ___
    a. across the board
    b. break the ice
    c. broke the news
    d. back to the drawing board
    e. take on board

[from the first three pages of the 28,000 hits of a Google search on: "take
on board" -airplane -ship -flight -sail -aircraft -luggage -baggage]

  Tom Kysilko        Practical Data Services
  pds at visi.com       Saint Paul MN USA