"Big Muddy" (Missouri or Mississippi RIver?); Barbeque (1760s)

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Thu Aug 29 15:40:11 UTC 2002

Note that there is river that is actually named the "Big Muddy" in Jackson
County, IL (there's a "Little Muddy" too). It's a tributary of the Missouri.
The 1840 quote is undoubtedly a reference to this river, as the mouth of the
Big Muddy is some 40 miles south of Kaskaskia, IL. (And the mouth of the
Missouri is what, some 700 miles away?) There's not enough geographical
context to evaluate what is meant by the 1816 quote.