Quell'

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Fri Aug 30 05:21:55 UTC 2002

I was watching an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer tonight (Writer: Marti
Noxon, Episode: "Wild At Heart," 1999) and was perplexed by a slang usage.
Buffy says of a female singer, "She's quell' Fiona. Color me bored." I
gathered from the context that Buffy meant the singer's style was derivative
of pop singer Fiona Apple. "Quell'" was what was confusing me. Finally, I
guessed that it was a clipped form of the German quelle (source) or
quellenforshung (study of influences on a work).

Has anyone run into "quell'" used in this fashion elsewhere? Is it an actual
slang term or is it a one-time coinage of the scriptwriter?