I'm From Missouri (2 May 1897); Hoggie (19 March 1944)

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 1 01:48:12 UTC 2002

In a message dated 11/30/2002 12:06:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
vidamorkunas at TELUS.NET writes:

> are there instances of words 'infiltrating' another language, then
>  eventually being spat back out, but now with a different (or additional)
>  meaning?

Mario Pei, in _The Story of Language_ (I do not have a copy handy) tells of a
Germanic word, "palla" or something like that, which entered Latin from some
early form of German,  then returned to a Germanic language (English) in the
form "Pall Mall", and eventually