Yanigan (baseball term)

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Dec 3 16:12:18 UTC 2002

First, thanx to Barry for unearthing the 1904 item on "Yanigan."
Also, the 19c Baseball discussion group has had a few messages on
this term (two of which are reproduced below my signoff, plus Barry's
message).

Gerald Cohen
member of American Dialect Society and 19cBB

>At 9:29 AM -0400 9/23/02, John Thorn wrote:
>To: "Nineteenth Century" <19cBB at yahoogroups.com>
>From: "John Thorn" <john at toy-department.com>
>Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 09:29:47 -0400
>Subject: [19cBB] Re: Con Yannigan

>'Who on earth is Con Yannigan?  I have long been seeking the exact origins
>of
>the term "yannigan," used to describe a player on an inexperienced side
>(usually during spring training).  I have narrowed down the period of its
>origin and have found some interesting accounts about it, but nothing on the
>exact etymology.  Dickson's Baseball Dictionary goes so far as to say "there
>is no clear link between this word and a word in another language or an
>earlier form of English or an English dialect."  This seems promising; can
>you elucidate?"
>
>Here goes. Some fifteen yeras ago I found an undated news clip from the 1898
>New York World, titled "Armless, Legless Pitchers," in the Cy Seymour
>Scrapbooks in the National Baseball Library. I included it in my "Armchair
>Book of Baseball II, published buy Scribners in 1987." In my introductory
>remarks I wrote that the clip was "replete with unexpected pleasures" that
>included "the stunningly offhand solution to one of game's most perplexing
>mysteries--the origin of the epithet 'yannigan,' reserved for scrub or
>second-rate players."
>
>Here, from the World:
>
>"Another cripple who was famous as a ballpayer was 'Con' Yannigan, who made
>a big reputation around Hartford, Connecticut, several years ago. He was a
>first baseman and had a cork leg. Yannigan was brought out by 'Steve' Brady,
>of the 'Old Mets.' 'Steve' considered him one of the best first baseman he
>ever saw. A great play of his was to block off base runners with his game
>leg. Opposing players could sharpen their spikes to a razor edge, but 'Con'
>didn't scare for  a cent."
>
>Is this a Paul Bunyan sort of yarn? Maybe. But there it is, an emerging
>legend in 1898, and a solid answer as to how yannigans came to be called
>yannigans.
>
>John Thorn

****

[22 Sept. 2002 message from Peter Morris]: