Teaching American English

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Tue Dec 3 19:06:12 UTC 2002

Rudy, I forwarded this to Anne, since I'm in that session with her.  Others
may have done so by now too.  She moved to the U of Michigan just this
year, so the NADS may not have her new e-dress.  I'll copy my reply to her
and Michael too.

Your points are well taken; I'm old enough to remember this history
too.  In fact, a colleague here in another department knows nothing about
linguistics but still raves about a course on AmEng she took from Raven at
Chicago as an undergrad.  Our point at ADS is not to suggest such study is
"new" (or at least it's not my point) but to discuss innovative ways of
presenting variation, esp. for high schoolers and community groups.  I
think for a number of years after the halcyon years you refer to, this
focus was lost, at least in English departments, which turned their
attention to rhetoric and the teaching of SWE, plus maybe a course in the
history of English (which may touch on modern Brit Eng vs. "general" Am Eng
at best and probably goes in one ear and out the other).  Linguistics
departments (ours included) may have had such undergrad courses all
along.  But Education schools, which prepare the bulk of public school
teachers, are not at all interested in language variation, as far as I
know; their students are typically prescriptive Miss Fidditches, even after
they (reluctantly) take a sometimes required intro. to linguistics
course.  In Ohio, only upper primary (grades 4-6) teacher trainees now have
to take this course, and they usually wait until senior year to do
so.  Also, the course covers a little bit of everything, with only one or
two weeks devoted to AmEng variation, alas.

You've now helped me think through part of my presentation at ADS!