Santa Claus Rally (1969 or 1976); Black Friday (1975)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Dec 5 03:22:14 UTC 2002

SANTA CLAUS RALLY

   I had posted previously that "Santa Claus rally" was allegedly coined by Yale Hirsch.  Here's what the online, full text WALL STREET JOURNAL has.

   13 Decemer 1969, WALL STREET JOURNAL, pg. 52:
   Even without this factor, year-end rallies between Christmas and New Year's have been scarce in recent years.  In the 1970 Stock Trader's ALmanac available at book stores here, Yale Hirsch traces year-end market trends and a wide variety of other statistical trends at various points during the year.

   23 December 1976, WALL STREET JOURNAL, pg. 19:
   "I think the year-end Santa Claus rally commenced on Tuesday," commented Alfred E. Goldman, vice president of A. G. Edwards & Sons Inc.

BLACK FRIDAY

   29 November 1975, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 21:
   Philadelphia police and bus drivers call it "Black Friday"--that day each year between Thanksgiving Day and the Army-Navy game.  It is the busiest shopping and traffic day of the year in the Bicentennial City as the Christmas list is checked off and the Eastern college football season nears conclusion.