Teaching With a Kentucky Accent

Terry Irons t-irons at MOREHEAD-ST.EDU
Thu Dec 5 11:44:02 UTC 2002

> On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Dave Hause wrote:
>
> > I think you might have taken that as pure career advice if he had
> qualified it by saying "...teach English somewhere other than Eastern
> Kentucky."

How would we react to this statement if accent were replaced by sex or race?
Surely, language is intrinsically part of identify as much as, if not more
than, either sex or race.

Rather than career advice, I find the comment to be overt discrimination, which
should be challenged every time it raises its ugly head.  Bravo, Stephani!

BTW, I thought Network Standard was Canadian. Or Texan.  Or Nebraskan.