Two famous sport-related quotations

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Dec 5 14:35:17 UTC 2002

At 5:59 PM +1100 12/5/02, Steve Cornelius wrote:
>I'm looking for the earliest known citations for two quite famous
>sport-related quotations.
>
>The first is (something like) "Winning isn't everything - it's the
>only thing".

Did you check the ads-l archives for this one?  We had a long thread
on this one a few years back, beginning with the debunking of the
Vince Lombardi attribution and then locating a coach constituting
another possible source (I believe a southern college football coach)
for whom there is some actual corroboration.

Larry