Two famous sport-related quotations

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Thu Dec 5 14:38:46 UTC 2002

In a message dated 12/5/02 2:17:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
scorn at PACIFIC.NET.AU writes:

> "Winning isn't everything - it's the only thing"

Attributed to George Allen, who coached the Washington Redskins in the
National Football League in the 1970's, but I wouldn't bet any money that
Allen originated it.

It is not widely known how much of a debt this country owes to George Allen.
I lived in Washington during Watergate and I assure you it was not too much
of an exaggeration to say that only pride in Allen and his overachieving
Redskins kept Washington DC functioning during those ill-starred years.

        - Jim Landau