Teaching With a Kentucky Accent

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Thu Dec 5 19:19:41 UTC 2002

I tell my students that this prejudice will change as power and money move
southward, as they now are.  Four presidents since LBJ have been from the
South, and no one considers them dumb (well, maybe excepting the present
one...), and the two recent midwestern presidents, Truman and Eisenhower,
didn't talk like the Eastern elite by any means.  Congressional, corporate,
and even media leaders are increasingly from the South and Southwest.  So
patience--as Labov concluded a talk he gave a few years ago at SECOL, the
South shall rise again!

I'm curious to know what college your mother attended, Anne?