More specifics on "Baseball been berry berry good to me"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Dec 6 00:39:13 UTC 2002

It was indeed Garrett Morris, and the Mets' player he created was
"Chico Escuela".  A few years ago, Curt Schilling--a first-rate
pitcher and all-around all-American good guy (according to the usual
media portrayal) was caught on ESPN mocking Sammy Sosa's Dominican
accent (Sosa had just been interviewed after hitting several long
homers during the annual All-Star Weekend home-run derby) by saying
"Baseball been berry berry good to me".  According to one on-line
account of the incident, "Schilling's putdown--which, remarkably,
merited a single brief mention in the Miami Herald--highlights the
kind of derision still directed at Latin athletes."

Larry