Yanigan (1895)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Dec 6 01:28:10 UTC 2002

   I didn't have much time today to research the Philadelphia and Baltimore
newspapers.  I'll try again on Saturday.  There's no rush--the DICTIONARY OF
AMERICAN REGIONAL ENGLISH and the HISTORICAL DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN SLANG
still aren't at "Y."
   1894 was not read.  I didn't see the term in Baltimore in 1895, but I
looked very quickly.

   26 March 1895, PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER, pg. 6, col. 1:
   The first or regular team of the Philadelphia Club rather rubbed it in on
the second or "Yanigan" nine this afternoon, and this evening Mike Grady has
been endeavoring to figure out how it all happened.

   21 March 1896, THE SUN (Baltimore), pg. 6, col. 4:
_Regulars and Yanigans of the Baltimore Team._