Icebox lives on

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Fri Dec 6 18:40:12 UTC 2002

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Laurence Horn wrote:

#I think the idea was that brooms aren't made from broom any longer,

It's turned around. Honestly, now, how old were you when you first read
of -- I won't say heard of -- the broom plant, and what did you think of
when you did? I can barely imagine how any modern L1 English speaker
would see "broom" 'sweeping tool' as derivative; it's just the name of
the thing, like "brush" or "sponge" (It GROWS? In the SEA? You gotta be
kidding me! This block of cellulose?).

#nor are glasses made from glass,

Either optical or drinking.

-- Mark A. Mandel