Obsolete term: touch typing

Steve Kl. stevekl at PANIX.COM
Fri Dec 6 18:41:58 UTC 2002

Because I was a dork as a child, I was fascinated by typewriters: I
started copying stuff out of the atlas when I was about 4, using my mom's
nonelectric typewriter; one of the first purchases I bought in high school
when I got a job was an electric typewriter. I typed a lot after school
growing up, mostly coming up with lists, inventing latinesque languages,
and writing really bad adolescent fiction.

The point is, I never had a formal typing class, yet I type very rapidly
-- I would suspect that for many kids nowdays who learn to type from a
young age they learn to quickly type by some idiosyncratic system.

I don't know how I type like I do -- another interesting tidbit -- a few
years ago I bought a split keyboard for work to reduce hand pain (it did),
and I assumed I'd have some annoying learning curve in using the new
keyboard -- but, no, I took to it like a duck to water from the word go.

-- Steve