Frog in a hailstorm

Michael Quinion TheEditor at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Fri Dec 6 22:06:48 UTC 2002

> I know "toad" for each of these: Blinkin' like a toad in a
> hailstorm, a toad strangler. Both gleaned from my wife, who's from
> northern Arkansas.

Thanks. Yes, Google has some of those, too. Confusingly, "like a
toad in a RAINstorm" turns up in a school idiom glossary where it is
defined as "that empty, goggle-eyed stare that you get from someone
when they don't understand what you are saying". I don't want us all
to get in so deep here that we can't escape again, but could that
possibly be true?

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words