Icebox lives on

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Fri Dec 6 22:44:32 UTC 2002

How about 'pigskin' and 'sheepskin'? Maybe even 'cavalry' when referring to helicopters fits into this.
Fritz

>>> laurence.horn at YALE.EDU 12/06/02 11:42AM >>>
At 12:48 PM -0500 12/6/02, sagehen wrote:
>  Larry writes:
>>I think the idea was that brooms aren't made from broom any longer,
>>nor are glasses made from glass, but we still call them by those
>>names.

>~~~~~~
>Not entirely true.  I still buy brooms made from broom corn, and my glasses
>have glass lenses (which I specify, since the plastic ones scratch far too
>readily).
>A.Murie

Sorry, I meant "not necessarily".  Our use of "broom" and "glasses"
is synchronically unrelated to what specific instances of these items
are made of.  Similarly "wood" (for the golf club) and "rubber'.
(Compare "cheese" or "cream" which some of us are reluctant to extend
to the imitation versions.)