Sake (1682)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 9 09:18:11 UTC 2002

A NEW VOYAGE TO THE EAST INDIES,
CONTAINING AN ACCOUNT OF SEVERAL OF THOSE RICH COUNTRIES...
by Mr. Glanius
London: H. Rodes
1682
(EARLY ENGLISH BOOKS ONLINE database--ed.)

Pg. 168:
   ...they brought with 'em six little Barrels of _Saqui_, which is a strong drink made of several sorts of Corn, but wherein there is mostly Rice, and which suddles like Wine.

(OED and MERRIAM-WEBSTER have 1687 for "sake"...I've now done a whole lot of Japanese food, including "sashimi" and "sukiyaki," with "California roll" and "sushi bar" coming with LOS ANGELES TIMES full text...IS ANYONE IN _THE NEW YORK TIMES_ FOOD SECTION LISTENING?  I'M BARRY POPIK!  I LIVE IN NEW YORK CITY!  MANY YEARS AGO, I SOLVED THE "HOT DOG," A POPULAR AMERICAN FOOD!  AND THEN--ah, forget it--ed.)