Not-quite-homophonic errors

Mon Dec 9 13:23:14 UTC 2002

Yes, the word for this so-called substitution or error (sic) is
"Standard English," although I understand that in some recalcitrant
dialect areas they distinguish between /E/ and /I/ before nasals.

dInIs

Is there an official name for the type of verbal error where a person
substitutes a nearly homophonic word for the correct word, such as a person
writing "eminent" when they mean "imminent"?

Thanks.

Paul
http://www.wordspy.com/

--