Kolache (1896)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 9 23:54:44 UTC 2002

   From John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK (1999):

_kolache._  Also, "kolach" and "kolacky."  A sweet pastry bun filled with
cheese, poppyseeds, sausage, or, more commonly, jam or fruits like cherry,
apricot, peach, pineapple, or prune, first mentioned in print in Willa
Cather's novel _My Antonia_ (1919).  It is of Czechoslovaqk origins (the
Czech word is _kolace_) and, as "kolacky," entered print about 1915.
   Kolaches are most popular in West Texas, where Czech immigrants settled in
1852.

   This has been driving me crazy.  I've been entering kolache/kolacky/kolace
into the three Making of America databases, the American Periodical Series,
Accessible Archives, the North American Women's Letters and Diaries database,
the American Memory Database, the Gerritsen Collection, the New York Times,
and the Washington Post, and I still couldn't beat a late date of 1919 for MY
ANTONIA.  Embarrassing.
   However, I was just checking the "Popik Collection" here for something
else and found it in an 1896 cook book.   I'll include some other interesting
items from the cook book's index as well.  The book is on NYPL microfilm and
I'll get the full recipe by request.

THE CHICAGO RECORD COOK BOOK
Published by the Chicago Record
1896 (handwritten date--ed.)

New England boiled dinner...53
Zrazrie a la hate...374
VEAL--Parmesan cutlets...345
PORK--Scrappel...586  (Great!  Another spelling!--ed.)
CHICKEN--Kentucky fried...402
SOUPS--Russian chlodnik...374
Belle Calas...86
Biscuit--Stuffed (Bohemian Kolace)...181
Buchtels, Bohemian...433
Flannel cakes...134
Ojalda...338
Pain perdu (see French toastT)...235
Peculiars...344
Singing hinney...103
Top knots...396
Kuchen...182
Kuchen Leb'...96
Tarts, Sand...475
Apple John...71, 401
Brown Betty...451
Hopple Popple...184
Jenny Linde...133
Moonshine...216. 392
Neapolitanoes...209
Slip (see junket)...37
CANDIES--Fudges...176
Pralines...(illegible--ed.)(See new DARE--ed.)
SALAD--Waldorf...503