Candy Cane (1865)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Dec 10 01:41:33 UTC 2002

   Someone asked me if I could beat 1897 for "candy cane."  From full text of HARPER'S WEEKLY, pg. 807, 23 December 1865:

Search the Full-Text of Harper's Weekly, 1857-1912
    Return to: Main Menu | New Search

65-12-23
Page
Section

. . . te it for me?" "Auntie" took her
pen and wrote verbatim at the child's dictation:
"Dear Santa Claus, -- I wish you would get me a lit-
tle dolly, turning around, if that belongs to Christmas;
and a candy cane, if that belongs to Christmas. If it
don't, I don't want it. And an apron for my doll, if
Christmas brings aprons. If it don't, I don't want any.
That is all I want.