Thai Food (1970, 1971, 1978); Maltese Sauce (1959); Gado Gado (1969)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Dec 12 19:15:13 UTC 2002

>    It was raining out, so I spent a quiet night (after work) in the Popik
>archives, brousing through the GOURMET index.

>THAI FOOD
>
>    "Mee Krob" or "Mi Krob" each has over 1,000 Google hits.  Neither spelling
>is in the revised OED(?).  THE OXFORD COMPANION TO FOOD, pg. 791, "SOME THAI
>FOOD TERMS," explains that "_mee krob_ are wheat noodles deep-fried and
>coated in sugar syrup as a savoury dish."  WEBSTER'S NEW WORLD DICTIONARY OF
>CULINARY ARTS has:
>
>_mee krob_ (mee krob)  A Thai dish of deep-fried rice sticks, green onions,
>red bell peppers, chives, tofu, cilantro and a sweet-and-sour sauce.

Speaking of taboo avoidance ("drunk", "rag", "prik"), I've always
wondered whether diners in Thai restaurants in France order "mee
krob" without a second thought.  Luckily for us, the Great Vowel
Shift has prevented any confusion with our own microbes.

Larry