Pronunciation of "googol"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Dec 12 19:33:59 UTC 2002

At 9:20 AM -0800 12/12/02, vida morkunas wrote:
>I say Goo-g'l
>
>Vida.
>(in the Pacific NW)

Me too, but I have an alternation with the full vowel for
"googolplex", where the [u] in the first syllable and the [a] in the
second both get secondary stress:

[,gu,gal'plEks]

(...which is, everyone will remember, 1 followed by a googol of
zeros.  A very large number indeed.  This too is defined in Gamow's
_One, Two, Three, Infinity_, or a title approximating that.

larry

P.S.  Actually, I think I've also known myself to use the ['gu,gal]
pronunciation for "google", with the full vowel.